Holiday Season is upon us and no matter how you celebrate, planning for large gatherings can get tricky in small spaces. From remodeling to reorganization of furniture, there are many solutions to accommodate a house full of guests this season.
Looking to gain space and finish your basement? That is what we do! Finishing your basement to have more gathering space and additional bedrooms is a wonderful solution to planning ahead for the holidays. What would you do with the extra space? Here are a few ideas that our clients have used in the past:
• Gain an extra guest bedroom for guests coming from out of town.
• Build a bar to alleviate some congestion in the kitchen during parties. Guests can gather around the bar instead of gathering solely in the kitchen.
• Open play and TV area for children will allow for adults to gather upstairs while the kids play downstairs.
Remodeling your main living area to create an open floor plan is another great way to plan for holiday gatherings. Here are a few things we can do to help you achieve this goal:
• Open up a wall to gain more of a connection and circulation pattern in your kitchen.
• Build a butler’s pantry or serving counter to layout desserts.
• Update your fireplace wall to create a cozy atmosphere for family and friends to gather around.
As a design-build firm, we have very little to do with the placement of furniture in a space. However, there are many space planning tips and tricks that can be a quick fix for your event planning:
• Put your bar in a different room. We recommend anywhere that won’t create a bottleneck effect, so not the entryway or the kitchen. Along with this, it is helpful to set up appetizer stands at
various locations to eliminate congestion in the kitchen while the meal is being prepared.
• Set up a variety of seating arrangements. Get creative! Use your couch as a bench seat for more seating.
• Create a fun kids table! We like the idea of having a tablecloth the kiddos can color on. This will keep them busy before and after food is served.
• Have standing areas with plenty of surface space to set drinks and plates on.
• Determine a place ahead of time to store guests’ coats and personal items. Often times, this can be on a bed but a coat rack works well too!
When we are set up for success this holiday season, we can relax and enjoy our friends and family’s company to the fullest. Happy Holidays from our family to yours!
To see more amazing basement design ideas, visit http://www.finishedbasement.com/portfolio/all-finished-basements/
To see more amazing kitchen and upstairs design ideas, visit http://www.rethinkremodel.com/